For the pastry:
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp fine sugar
1/2 stick butter (125g)
5 tbsp cold water
3/4 cup flour
For the filling
1 can Boat Seafoods Albacore Tuna flaked
1/2 cup roughly chopped shelled prawns
1 brinjal- peeled -chopped
1 carrot-peeled-chopped into 1 cm cube
3 medium potatoes- peeled – chopped into 1cm cube
1 french onion-chopped
4 pips garlic-chopped
1 red chilly-seeded-chopped
1 tbsp grounded dried shrimps
1 tbsp chopped parsley
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp oil
1 tbsp butter
For the roux:
1/2 cup flour
1 cup water
1/4 cup evaporated milk
50 gm butter
1 beaten egg yolk
NOTE: Boat Seafoods Canned Albacore Tuna is only available for purchase online — to order CLICK HERE
How to make Albacore Tuna and Prawns Pie
1. For the pastry:-In mixture A, combine flour ,salt and sugar with butter to form crumbs, Then add water to form a soft dough. knead till non sticky. Leave to rest for 1 hour.
2.Combine B to form a paste. Using 2 plastic wrapper, sandwich the soft dough and roll till thin, Place the B paste on top and fold the pastry , roll again, Repeat this process 3 times. Leave to rest while you prepare the fillings.
3. For the fillings:- Soften the potatoes and carrot by boiling in water for 1/2 hour. Then add brinjal and boil another 10 mins. Drain. Heat the oil and butter, saute the onion,garlic , chilly and dried shrimps , add the boiled vegetables. Mix well with seasoning . Add roux to thicken .
4. Taken 2/3 of the pastry and roll our thinly (1/2 cm ) in between 2 plastic sheets. Place it on a greased oven-proof pie dish. Spoon the filling into the pastry case and spread out evenly.
5. Roll out the remaining dough thinly and cut about 1/2 width strip. Place each strip on the pie like a net, over lapping each other.
6. Brush the pie with egg yolk and bake in a preheated oven at 200 C for 40 mins or till golden brown. Serve warm.
to make the roux or white sauce:
Heat a pan and add butter. once the butter melt, add flour and stir to mix, then add water and milk , keep stirring till smooth. ( it will get lumpy if you don’t stir well). Add to your cooked fillings to thicken it.